Monday, November 20, 2006

Phew! It's over

And frankly, I rocked their world!

I was calm and cool and on top of my game. The entire exercise was done in front of six people, all representing the college. They were the "class" I had to teach, and they tried as hard as they could to act like obnoxious drunks with short attention spans (translation: typical college students). I also knew three of them previously, including the course co-ordinator, who was a classmate of mine at Canadore in the middle-1980s. I had to teach for 45 minutes, so was a tad nervous about whether I had enough material. Just as I got to the end of the material, I was given the time's up sign.

And get this: Canadore College is on the flight path from CFB North Bay. I was lecturing about recording audio, and (sorry, non-broadcast types, if you don't grasp this) the pitfalls of using AGC -- automatic gain control. For an example, I was using an airshow and a Snowbird jet flying overhead. Just as I mentioned it, a plane flew right over the college. One of my faux students exclaimed "Whoa! How'd he do that?" Karma, baby, Karma (not Ma's pooch, real Karma).

The class was followed by a series of eight oral questions that all candidates are asked. I took notes while the questions were being asked, to make sure I answered all parts. As confident as I felt with my answers, I still asked -- most of the time -- whether my answer was sufficient. I was also told going in that supplementary questions would be asked if they arose. None did, telling me that my initial answers were indeed complete.

Now, the waiting. They told me they would make a decision by late next week. I would cross my fingers, but then my typing would look like this: psalo;slkjsp;suifdol3.

I refuse to obsess about any of this. I know I did extremely well, and will have to let the chips fall where they may.

In the meantime, I have another interview scheduled for Friday, December 1, for a job in corporate communications at Ottawa City Hall.

8 comments:

Ma Horton said...

This is like a cliffhanger ...or should I say a bobbyhanger ..nah..and me and the pooch , Karma have our jdhyrevcnljcoaumn8*w2g$5 crossed for you ...you played the game like a pro and came up a winner ..whether you get it or not you felt good about it all and ,you are right ..the rest is all karma ( destiny not the pooch ) .

JB said...

I have trouble believing you're not going to obsess about it, but maybe I'm projecting, because I know I would if it were me. Sounds like it was a moment of triumph, and, as Ma said, you can sleep at night knowing that if you don't get hired, it was because they chose for a reason other than performance. I'm currently hoping you get it if only to save you from working anywhere close to municipal politics in a city obsessed with federal government.
;-)

Bob said...

JB: We have never met in person, yet you have seen through me yet again.

Who am I kidding? I am SO obsessing, finding it hard to concentrate on my work, because the voices in my head are planning the move, wondering what housing availability in North Bay is like this time of year, and all the other minute details that add up to total obsession.

Bob said...

JB: We have never met in person, yet you have seen through me yet again.

Who am I kidding? I am SO obsessing, finding it hard to concentrate on my work, because the voices in my head are planning the move, wondering what housing availability in North Bay is like this time of year, and all the other minute details that add up to total obsession.

Bob said...

See? So knocked off my concetration, that I posting the last comment twice. ;-)

John Mielke Photography said...

Yeah, yeah... good luck and all that gunk... I just hope you told them you found the ad on MilkmanUnLimited.com

Help a brother out!
JM

4D said...

Good luck! Fingers all crossed.

Keep smilin!

AW

Anonymous said...

NGB, I hope that whatever is meant to be will mean great things for you. I'm learning that sometimes,the things we want are not in our destiny. (Boy, this colon cleanser really mkes the crap fly doesn't it?) In all seriousness, I hope things work out the way they are meant to for you...xo