Monday, October 08, 2007

Big Brother (Orwell-style) is watching me!

First, Happy Thanksgiving. No, I did not have turkey dinner. Let's not go there, shall we?

I'm not sure if it's a product of now working for a much bigger company (CTVglobemedia), but all of a sudden late last week, the stupid net-nanny, WebSense, quit letting me post comments on blogs from any computer at work. Milky, are you having the same problem? Heck, it won't let me on to t's blog at all. Frustrating, especially when I have an especially clever comment, and can't use it! It's like bein' all spruced-up and splashing on the Aqua Velva, but no date except the inflatable lady who lives in my closet.

Well, we had a surprise party on Saturday night for my sister and brother-in-law's 25th wedding anniversary. My nieces, 17 and 20, did a great job of setting it all up and keeping it a total secret until their folks arrived. We had it at second cousin André's house. His super-organizer wife, Jen, gets a lot of credit for opening her home to us, and guiding Caitlin and Michelle along the path to party success.

Here's a couple pics I took. I'm waiting to get some from the girls. One of Michelle's friends was official photographer for the evening. The joke is that she's Asian, so you know the shots will all be good. I haven't seen any yet, but hear from sources that they are, indeed, well done.
Tomorrow is the actual date of Dale and Den's anniversary. They're leaving for Italy for ten days tomorrow night. (By the way, Dale is my sister; Den is short for Denis, my bro-in-law).
The party was wonderful. A super bonus for me is that Little Bro Dan and Pretty Christine dropped in for an hour or so. When I get the photo of the three of us, I'll share it. Man, I love those kids.

And, okay, here's why I didn't have turkey dinner: Dale was supposed to cook one yesterday, but was too tired from the party to cook, so we ordered pizza and wings instead. To be honest, I was a bit peeved, because if I had known sooner, I had been invited to Christine's parent's house for turkey, but declined, because I had already been invited to Dale's. However, Dale did not know of the other invitation. I'll survive -- I'm a tough old goat.

6 comments:

JB said...

Well, pizza and wings is better than - say - tough old goat.
We never have turkey at Thanksgiving. We still have all the trimmings, including the stuffing from my mother's recipe - which my wife makes perfectly - but we substitute chicken. Janne and I aren't huge turkey fans, so we don't miss it. She (being from Denmark) didn't celebrate Thanksgiving growing up, and Christmas is always roast pork in the Danish tradition.
Happy Thanksgiving, Bob. You can easily see the familial similarities in you and your sis, and your nieces are lovely.
Hope you get the Big Brother thing solved soon. Hate to miss out on any Aqua Velva moments.

XUP said...

My god, people. What's the difference what you eat for Thanksgiving? The main point of the holiday is that you're thankful to be at the top of the food chain where you get to kill a lot of things and eat them rather than vice versa.

Sean Newbury said...

NGB... at work Crackbook was blocked back at the beginning of September, I pray everyday when I get to work that I can still get into Blogger... Some times I don't post OR comment but just being there... makes my day go smoother and quicker...

Sorry bout the Turkey, it's not about the turkey, but it's like when I go to visit with my Grandmother, I'll have a fantastic time when I see her, but if there's no lemon meringue pie, well it just isn't the same...

Maria said...

Oh poor Bobby, I feel your pain.
We sometimes use a turkey substitute at Thanksgiving its called chicken. I find its not as dry and not as huge that your eating that damn bird for several days after Thanksgiving.

This year was great though, someone else cooked and I just got to eat.

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaaaannnnnddd we're back -- at least on the computer at my own desk. It's not unusual for me to have to use four or five computers in the course of a work day.

Funny, though, I still can't get on to T's blog. WebSense tells me it has potentially damaging material. Hmmmm...

Sean Newbury said...

(Indeed you are correct sir... Mea Culpa.)

Dale, gurl... you're outfit is fierce! I give you a jaunty (if not too terribly flaming) 4 point snap - 'Z' formation. Work it!