Thursday, October 25, 2007

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.


Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.


Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.


Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.


You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.


Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.


With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.


Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

13 comments:

Ma Horton said...

I love that . I had it on my university wall . I wish I could find a nice wall hanging with that again . You brought it all back for me baby . Thanks .

Anonymous said...

No prob. Now pass that joint and the bag of Cheetos.

Ma Horton said...

.. the joint was a my residence and the wine was Jordan goof . .. 2 bucks a bottle... freshman budget .

Anonymous said...

What? No Mateus or Lonesome Charlie? The bottles from Mateus made great candleholders.

JB said...

You two are making me feel old. Cut it out.
I never drank a drop of Mateus, but I hand the candle. Shut up.
;-)

Anonymous said...

Well, although she doesn't look it, Ma is, shall we delicately say, the most youth-challenged of the three of us, and I'm the junior member.
Did either of you ever sing Barry Manilow's "Weekend in New England" (shut up, Mark) into a beer bottle microphone at 3am?

JB said...

Well, being a musician by trade, I always sang into microphones and drained beer bottles.
That's not true, either.
The only beer I ever drank was Heineken. I'm not a "beer guy."
We were primarily a Jack Daniels band.
Couple of the guys sang into a toilet for an entire weekend when we played in New England, but that's about it.

Maria said...

does the fact that I don't know what you guys are talking about mean I am MUCH younger?

Maria said...

or just delirious from the cookie diet?

Or plain stupid?

Anonymous said...

Why, when you people put up multiple-choice questions, do you always neglect to include "all of the above"???

Actually, Maria, Hon, you are much younger and delirious from the cookie diet. You need a large slice of baklava, or at least some lamb.
Opa!

Ma Horton said...

I had the Mateus candle and the Lonesome Charlie too ....and remember the panty raids ...I kept mine btw .The songs I recall are Angel of the Morning and To Sir With Love . I am old but hell doesn't seem like it .

Anonymous said...

Note to young pups:
Ma is referring to the Merrilee Rush version of Angel of the Morning, not the Juice Newton cover of it.
Remember it on Hilltop Rendezvous, Ma?

JB said...

While you were listening to Angel Of The Morning, I was listening to A Song For Jeffrey by Jethro Tull and Time Machine and Heartbreaker by Grand Funk.