Friday, March 07, 2008

Coffee's traumatic morning


Coffee just had her first visit to the vet -- at least, the first time since we became a family. The worst part was getting her there and back. She does not like the cat carrier (it's like a sports bag with mesh windows). She was breaking my heart with her crying on the way to the vet's (a five-minute ride from home), so I let her out of the carrier, but then the car ride was freaking her out. Luckily, she was not taking it out on me, she was in the back seat crying.
Inside the vet's office was okay. She didn't even feel the rabies needle. And she wasn't crazy about getting her nails clipped. I thought all women liked getting mannies.
Then, when she knew we were leaving and it was time to get back in the cat carrier, she hid behind some filing cabinets. The vet's assistant -- a lady of about 60 -- crawled on her hands and knees to get her out.
Coffee was pretty good on the way home, still crying a bit, but not minding the carrier all that much. But you should have seen her when we got inside and I opened the end of the carrier. ZIP!--Right to the litter box for a major dump!
She's now obviously back in her comfort zone, sleeping on the bed as I write this.
By the way, she's very healthy, although I'm supposed to switch her to a lower-calorie food for indoor cats, and only feed her about half the amount I do now. She weighs 4kg (which is just under nine pounds), but shouldn't get much heavier.
We don't have to go back for a year. On one hand, I hope she forgets about this time. On the other hand, I hope she remembers, and realizes it wasn't all that bad.
For my part, it appears that I'm not only a cat person, but a good Daddy, too.

8 comments:

Maria said...

so now that your such a pro when do you start to have real kids that can REALLY test your patience??!

Bob said...

I'm too old for that crap! But bring on the grandchildren -- okay, the Grand Little Brothers and Sisters, spawned by Little Bro Dan and The Pretty Christine.

Maria said...

never too old.

Hubby has a co-worker who is in his 50's and who has grown children in there 20's and now had another kid with his new wife!

ZoeyBella said...

Awwww.. what a cute kitty! :)

JB said...

a) It's hardly crap.

b) I'm a shining example of how having babies makes better men of good 50-year-old men. It's obviously not for everybody, but if you're already a good person (and you seem to have the occasional good day, so let's assume you are), it will make a better person out of you. You'll have far less time to yourself for sunning in faraway lands (unless you're wealthy and connected, like Maria), but you'll find it to be worth it in the end.

Bob said...

I've been told by JB, yet again. Touché.
Sometimes the smartass in me overpowers the rest. I would totally LOVE to be a Dad even at this point in my mind. But I guess what makes it so easy to be a smartass and call it "crap" is that I have truly been blessed by Fate, who put Dano and me together.
Like you and the tinks, JB, I wouldn't change a thing in that regard.

Ma Horton said...

I refuse to surrogate .

JB said...

Ma! Shhh!
I hadn't even asked you yet (publicly)!