Monday, March 12, 2007

I'm getting the hang of this diabetes thing

I've really been more careful of what I eat. I'm opting for salad instead of fries (which I never ate a lot of, anyway), I think I'm past the craving for my daily can of Pepsi, and am succeeding at not noshing on the goodies that so often come in to our newsroom.

I haven't given up on my two cups of coffee a day. But now, instead of double-double, it's sweetener and milk in it. I'm also drinking tea more often, just black. It's even recommended in some of the literature I've been reading.

Heck, tonight I even cooked fish for myself. I've never done that. The closest I ever got to that is breading and cooking fresh pickerel at the cottage for my dad and me, and whoever else happens to be around. And tonight, I even had corn with it. I have never cooked veggies for myself.

I'm also learning what I can't eat. Last night, I had take-out Chinese from a place down the street that makes it great. I'm not sure if it was the chicken balls in cherry sauce or the honey garlic ribs, but my blood-sugar reading two hours later was 14.1 -- the highest it's been since I started testing it. The target range is between 4 and 7. Next time, I'll get chop suey or some other veggie-based dish to go with the egg roll and fried rice. If the result is similar, I'll swear off Chinese food. It's all entirely do-able.

So I'm getting there. I had even lost a couple pounds when I weighed myself at the gym last week. Going there is something that I'm going to have to do more often, too, but a lifetime of habit/routine is going to take a bit of time to totally change.

6 comments:

Ma Horton said...

You have the will power and the positive attitude to do this Bobbybaby . It shows in the words of your post that you are in control .I think substitution is the way to go so that you never feel deprived . One day at a time for any battle , even diabetes ( which by the way , runs in my family too . )

N@ Lauzon said...

Hey Bob! It can only be a good thing for you, this switch to healthier eating! Well done. And it's good you are taking it seriously.

I can relate to what you say because, I have to be very aware of what I eat, considering my egg allergy.

But I've learned how to work around it. And you learn that you don't need to deprive yourself of ANYTHING. You just think of new ways to make recipes, etc.

Keep it up!

p.s. I have a great easy salmon recipe if you want it. :)

Bob said...

Yes, please, N@, I would love your salmon recipe. One challenge of the lifestyle and diet thing is cooking for one person.

Ma Horton said...

.and why doesn't your mommy have the salmon recipe ?? Something fishy here .

N@ Lauzon said...

Hey Bob! The salmon recipe is:

1 clove chopped garlic
1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
pepper to taste
1 tablespoon paprika
dash of cayenne, optional.

smear it on yer salmon fillet and let marinate for 10 mins..then pop in the oven at 400, for 15-20 mins.
(or til it's ready)

YUMMMMM! I actually had it last nite!!!!

JB said...

Bob, avoid Chinese (I know, it sucks) as much as you can. Even without the msg (and most Chinese places will cook msg-free food these days, but you should always ask first if they do), the sugar content in the 'red sauce' alone will set your glucose levels to spinnin'. Plus, it has red dye, which is the worst of the food dyes.
Get 'er done!